Monday, October 6, 2008

London IV: The Victoria & Albert Museum

We finished our Sunday museum run with a visit to The Victoria and Albert Museum. Given my past experiences in London's museums, I'd say the V&A and The British Museum are the two best collections in town. At first I wasn't expecting much more than a steampunk funeral pyre since I'd always heard the V&A was full of old gadgets and failed inventions (don't get me wrong, I was really excited about it), but it's really a very well-rounded museum. We didn't have nearly enough time to do it justice, but since photography was allowed I went a bit camera crazy.






1) A sneak-peak of the V&A's Reformation and Renaissance display that they've got categorized as "under construction." And yes, that is a full-size cast of The David, thank you for asking.

2) A statue of St. George slaying the dragon.








3) A blown glass decoration over the museum's main lobby.


4) A giant column we found in the medieval room, most likely from somewhere on the Mediterranean if I remember the signage and symbolism correctly. This thing is easily 3 stories tall.

No comments: