Monday, October 6, 2008

London V: Loose Ends

And, as always, I need my post of random happenstance and "just cool stuff" to finish off the review of this weekend. We stayed at the Royal Scot Travelodge on King's Cross Road, only about a 10 minute walk from the St. Pancras tube station, and while it was a little more expensive than a hostel (£40 each for 2 nights), we felt a lot more secure with our own triple room, toilet, and towels. If you need a cheap place to stay in district 1, remember to check its prices.

I tried mince and onion pie at a pub called The Stage Door, located opposite Victoria Station and down the alley by The Duke of York's. It was one of the few cheap places we found to eat, and had a very traditional pub menu. Now then, who remembers the notorious Cornish pasty? Mince and onion pie is a lot like that, except that it's easier to eat the crust off and leave the filling than a pasty. I basically got a plate full of gravy, which I'm slowly learning to exclude from my orders (even the one's you wouldn't think came with gravy in the first place.) So, here I've got meat and gravy, pastry and gravy, veg and gravy, and chips and gravy. Plus ketchup. Lots and lots of ketchup. Anyways, if you want a good pub in London (and especially if you're travelling by bus) check out The Stage Door. It's absolutely worth the visit.

We also ate at a Planet Hollywood after a very long, drawn out debate over the cheapest sit-down food in London. Unfortunately, we were in the middle of Piccadilly Circus, so all of them were around £12 per plate. Ultimately, we decided we felt more hungry than thrifty, so we went in to fulfill our American food cravings. And then I saw it, hanging from the wall like just another movie prop: Indiana Jone's whip, put on auction just a few months ago. They had the Holy Grail from Last Crusade as well, but my photos of it didn't turn out very well. I don't care how touristy or stupid it is, this made my night.

And, of course, no trip to London is complete without the obligatory pictures of the tube. I've been on the tube more than enough for one life time, but the dummy guard caught my attention all the same. I thought it was a really cute joke, and tried to take the picture about 5 times before getting the right setting. My new camera and I are getting along marvelously, by the way. It does its "smart" thing, and I point it at whatever I want. Once in a while I have to go to the scenes menu and tell it what I'm photographing - there's a setting for snow, a setting for panoramas, a setting for sports... a setting for everything, really - but then it usually comes out great!

No comments: